St Valentine’s Day is just around the corner – and if you want love to blossom you need to do a little planning. Jovita Kit, Executive Housekeeper of The Egerton House Hotel, shares a few ideas sure to set the right romantic tone at bedtime.
Our Rediscover Romance package includes a Romantic Turndown – it’s a wonderful surprise when you return to your room with your loved one. Whilst we’d love you to experience it for yourself in the unique surroundings of the Egerton you can, with a bit of work, create your own romantic turndown at home. You’ll need to do a little shopping then take half an hour getting everything just perfect.
You are going to need half a dozen red roses, about 10 tea light candles, some nicely fragranced bath salts, about half a dozen larger candles, a punnet of fresh strawberries (with a little stem and some leaves still attached) and 1 cup of chopped chocolate or good-quality chocolate chips.
First of all you need to prepare the strawberries by following these simple steps:
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminium foil.
- Wash the strawberries and dry them thoroughly
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and warm until it is melted, stirring after every 30 seconds. Or melt in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Overheated chocolate gets thick and hard to work with, so it’s important to keep a careful eye on the chocolate. Remove it when some pieces are still not melted, and stir until they melt.
- Holding a strawberry by the stem, dip it in chocolate, twirling it in a circular motion to evenly cover most of the berry. As you lift it from the chocolate, twirl it so that any excess chocolate drips back into the bowl.
- Place the berry on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining berries and chocolate. Chill in the refrigerator.
Draw the curtains in the bedroom and turn the covers down on the bed.
When the strawberries have hardened arrange them in a couple of bowls, then place one beside the bath and the other by the bed.
Now place the tea lights around the bath and light and put the bath salts nearby. Place the larger candles around the bedroom and light them too.
Gently strip the rose petals from the stems and scatter them in the bath, across the bed and pillows then on the floor as you walk back towards the door.
Finally turn off all the lights in the bedroom and bathroom to enhance the effect of the flickering candles.
The rest is up to you!